Invited Symposium: Behaviour-Induced Neural Events after Brain Injury
Materials & Methods
Discussion & Conclusion
Dehydration and Rehydration Reversibly Alter the Surface Density of Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein Immunoreactivity (GFAP-IR) of Astrocytes in the Rat Supraoptic Nucleus
Contact Person: Nick Hawrylak (email@example.com)
- Baddeley, A.J., Gundersen, H.J.G. and Cruz-Orive, L.M. (1986) Estimation of surface area from vertical sections. Journal of Microscopy, 142:259-276.
- Bobak, J., Sedlmeyer, T., Hawrylak, N. and Slam, A. (1997) Evidence of astrocyte cell death in the glial limitans of the supraoptic nucleus (SON) of normal and dehydrated adult rats. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr., 23:1077.
- Bobak, J.B., Hawrylak, N. and Salm, A.K. (1996) Reversible changes in the basal lamina subjacent to the supraoptic nucleus. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr., 22:585.
- Bobak, J.B. and Salm, A.K. (1996) Plasticity of astrocytes of the ventral glial limitans subjacent to the supraoptic nucleus. J. Comp. Neurol., 376:188-197.
- Dyball, R. and Garten, L. (1988) Stimulus-related changes in the dendrites of magnocellular neurones. Brain Res. Bull., 20:675-680.
- Gavrieli, Y. and Ben-Sasson, S. (1992) Identification of Programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J. Cell Biol., 119:493-501.
- Hatton, G.I. (1990) Emerging concepts of structure-function dynamics in adult brain: the hypothalamo-neurohypophyseal system. Prog. Neurobiol., 34:437-504.
- Hatton, G.I. (1997) Function-related plasticity in the hypothalamus. Annual Reviews of Neuroscience, 20:371-393.
- Hatton, G.I., Perlmutter, L.S., Salm, A.K. and Tweedle, C.D. (1984) Dynamic neuron-glial interactions in the hypothalamus and pituitary: Implications for hormone synthesis and release. Peptides, 5 Suppl. 1:121-138.
- Hawrylak, N., Fleming, J.C. and Salm, A.K. (1998) Dehydration and rehydration reversibly alter glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) immunoreactivity in the rat supraoptic nucleus (SON) and subjacent glial limitans. Glia, 22:260-271.
- Jones, C. and Pickering, B. (1969) Comparison of the effects of water deprivation and sodium chorlide inbibition on the hormone content of the neurohypophysis of the rat. J. Physiol., 203:4449-458.
- Murray, M. (1968) Effects of dehydration on the rate of proliferation of hypothalamic neuroglia cells. Exp. Neurol., 20:460-468.
- Patterson, J. and Leblond, C. (1977) Increased proliferation of neuroglia and endothelial cells in the supraoptic nucleus and hypophyseal neural lobe of young rats drinking hypertonic sodium chloride. J. Comp. Neurol., 172:373-390.
- Perlmutter, L.S., Tweedle, C.D. and Hatton, G.I. (1985) Neuron/glial plasticity in the supraoptic dendritic zone in response to acute and chornic dehydration. Brain Res., 361:225-232.
- Salm, A.K., Smithson, K.G. and Hatton, G.I. (1985) Lactation-associated redistribution of the glial fibrillary acidic protein within the supraoptic nucleus. Cell Tissue Research, 242:9-15.
- Singleton, P.A. and Salm, A.K. (1996) Differential expression of tenascin in astrocytes associated with the supraoptic nucleus (SON) of hydrated and dehydrated rats. J. Comp. Neurol., 373:186-199.
- Sterio, D. (1983) The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the disector. Journal of Microscopy, 134:127-13.
- Theodosis, D.T. and Poulain, D.A. (1993) Activity-dependent neuronal-glial and synaptic plasticity in the adult mammalian hypothalamus. Neuroscience, 3:501-535.
- Theodosis, D.T., Poulain, D.A. and Vincent, J.D. (1981) Possible morphological bases for the synchronization of neuronal firing in the rat suprsoptic nucleus during lactation. Neuroscience, 6:919-929.
- Tweedle, C.D. and Hatton, G.I. (1976) Ultrastructural comparisons of neurons of supraoptic and circularis nuclei in normal and dehydrated rats. Brain Res. Bull., 1:103-121.
- Tweedle, C.D. and Hatton, G.I. (1977) Ultrastructural changes in rat hypothalamic neurosecretory cells and their associated glia during minimal dehydration and rehydration. Cell Tissue Research, 181:59-72.
- Tweedle, C.D. and Hatton, G.I. (1984) Synapse formation and disappearance in adult rat supraoptic nucleus during different hydration states. Brain Res., 309:373-376.
Back to the top.
| Discussion Board | Next Page | Your Symposium |