McMaster University

McMaster University

Obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN)


After arrival, a new foreign employee must apply in person for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) at their local Service Canada office.

The SIN is a nine-digit number that is needed to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.  Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations do not permit any employer to pay an employee who does not have a SIN.  All employees are required by Service Canada to present their SIN card to their employer within 3 days of starting work.

It can take up to three weeks for a SIN card to be issued.  Service Canada will issue a receipt for the SIN card application which will have the Social Insurance Number listed. Faculty members must provide a copy of this and the temporary work permit to the Office of the Provost (Health Sciences Human Resources for Health Sciences faculty).  Post Doctoral Fellows must provide this to Human Resource Services (CSB 202). It is mandatory that all non-Canadians supply these two pieces of information.  Appointments cannot be processed without them.  Please note that SINs are valid for the duration of the temporary work permit.

For more information on obtaining a Social Insurance Number, visit the Service Canada website.



If you require further assistance, please contact Mara Giannotti, (, Manager, Faculty Appointments & Records, Office of the Provost, ext. 23065.            
Faculty of Health Sciences faculty contacts are Rebecca Collier, (, Faculty Secretary, Health Sciences, ext. 22175 or Deborah Miller, (, Faculty Relations, Health Sciences, ext. 24063.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0