McMaster University

McMaster University

Permanent Resident and Citizenship Information

Permanent Resident Visa

Full-time McMaster faculty members (tenure/track and professional/teaching track) who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada are expected to apply for and obtain a Permanent Resident Visa (PRV) in order to maintain their employment in Canada.

Foreign faculty members may apply for permanent residency under the Skilled Worker categories. Information on permanent residency and the application process CEC and PNP can be found on the following Citizenship & Immigration Canada’s (CIC) web pages:

Ontario Provincial Nominee Program

Individuals holding full-time academic appointments may apply for a permanent resident visa through the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). By applying through the PNP permanent residency could be in certain circumstances, obtained in a shorter period of time (typically 15-18 months). Immediate family members are also included in the PNP application. In order to apply, a faculty member’s academic unit must nominate their faculty member to their Faculty Dean, who in turn will nominate them for the PNP program–PNP will not accept applications from individuals.

Please note that in addition to CIC’s processing fees, there is a PNP application fee of $1,500 that the individual is responsible for paying.

All nominations are coordinated through the Office of the Provost or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources. For more information on this process please contact Barb Eftekhari, Office of the Provost, (, ext 23065 or Rebecca Collier, (, ext. 22175 for Faculty of Health Sciences, who will work with the Faculty and Department and the PNP office to coordinate the application process.

Direct Application for Permanent Residency

Individuals holding full-time faculty appointments who opt not to apply via the PNP, or individuals who hold term positions at McMaster, are responsible for applying for permanent residency on their own.

If a faculty member has concerns regarding the permanent resident application process, they may wish to consider retaining an immigration lawyer/consultant.  The Office of the Provost or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources Office can provide a referral upon request.   Please note that it is the responsibility of the individual for all costs associated with this consultation.    

After Permanent Residence Status is Granted

Once permanent resident status has been granted, the faculty member will need to provide a copy of their permanent resident card and new Social Insurance Card (SIN) to the Office of the Provost (Health Sciences Human Resources for Health Sciences faculty). If applicable, copies of the permanent resident card for dependents and/or a spouse should be forwarded to the Office of the Provost and Human Resources Department or Health Sciences Human Resources for Health Sciences faculty to ensure the continuation of medical coverage.


Permanent residents who have lived in Canada for more than three years may apply for citizenship. Information on citizenship can be found on the following Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) web pages:

 If you require further assistance, please contact Barb Eftekhari, (, Manager, Faculty Academic Appointments & Records, Office of the Provost, ext. 23065.      
Faculty of Health Sciences faculty contacts are Rebecca Collier, (, Manager, Academic Advancement, Health Sciences, ext. 22175.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0