McMaster University

McMaster University

Driving in Ontario

Driver Licencing

Your existing driver's licence from another province or country will remain valid for 60 days after your relocation to Ontario. You must apply for an Ontario driver's licence within your first 60 days if you want to continue driving in Ontario. For information on how to obtain an Ontario driver's licence, including important information on required identification and supporting documentation, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

Please note that if your licence is in a language other than English or French, you will be required to provide a written English translation from a qualified translator.

Vehicle Licencing

Most vehicles on Ontario roads must be registered with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, insured and maintained to meet certain basic standards. It is your responsibility to make sure that your vehicle meets these requirements. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit. Your vehicle permit must accurately describe your vehicle.

If you are relocating to Ontario from another province within Canada, the Ministry of Transportation provides a comprehensive "To Do" Checklist that details the various steps and documentation involved in registering your vehicle in Ontario.

If you are importing a branded vehicle from the United States or another country, please go to the Branding Vehicles webpage for more information. Call the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240 or email at to determine admissibility, fees required, and get information on how to proceed. For information on which vehicles may be imported, you can also contact Transport Canada - Vehicle Importation at 1-800-333-0371 or (613) 998-8616.

When you bring a vehicle into Canada you will, in most cases have to pay duty and taxes. For information on federal taxes, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Please note that the imported vehicles must meet all federal government requirements prior to registration. You may also be required to pay provincial portion of the HST when the vehicle is registered in Ontario.

If you need to purchase a vehicle upon your relocation to Ontario, you may be entitled to a discount on eligible new GM vehicles. More information about this discount can be found on the McMaster Business Management Services website.


Ontario has compulsory automobile insurance. Before you can attach plates to a vehicle or renew your registration the vehicle must be insured. In Ontario, private companies provide insurance coverage.

All vehicles must be insured for third party liability for at least $200,000. This covers you in the event that you injure or kill someone or damage someone's property. Collision insurance to cover damage to your own vehicle is a good idea but not required by law.

As an employee of McMaster University, you are eligible for preferred group rates on your home and automobile insurance through TD Insurance. For information, please visit the TD Insurance page for McMaster Unviersity Faculty, Staff and Retirees.

If you require further assistance, please contact Barb Eftekhari, (, Manager, Faculty Appointments & Records, Office of the Provost, ext. 23065 or Jen Caruk, (, Coordinator, Academic Appointments and Records, Office of the Provost, ext. 24665.

Faculty of Health Sciences faculty contacts are Rebecca Collier, (, Faculty Secretary, Health Sciences, ext. 22175 or Deborah Miller, (, Faculty Relations, Health Sciences, ext. 24063.

Last Update: April 14, 2014

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0