- Alfreda Hall, Wheels Begin to Turn: The Story of
Helping to Move Nations Christward (Toronto: Baptist Womens Missionary Society
of Ontario and Quebec, 1976), p. 29.
- Ibid., p. 9.
- Baptist Visitor, No. 400 (January, 1927), p. 2.
- Womens Baptist Home Missionary Society of
Ontario West Minute Book (Nov. 2, 1925), p. 90.
- Baptist Visitor, No. 388, (December, 1925), p.
- Minute Book (Nov. 13, 1925), p.91.
- Ibid. (Nov. 26, 1924).
- Ibid., p. 92.
- Ibid., p. 93.
- Ibid., p. 98.
- Baptist Visitor, No. 390 (February, 1926), p. 2.
- Baptist Visitor, No. 391 (March, 1926), p. 2.
- Minute Book (March 18th, 1926), p.
- Ibid., p. 120.
- It is interesting to note, however, that the issue is
raised by the Womens Baptist Foreign Missionary Board of Ontario West. In the
archives at McMaster Divinity College a 25 page paper produced in 1927 by Anabel Mills
discusses the view that CGIT is infiltrated with "modernist," thus radical,
- Minute Book, p.140.
- Ibid., pp. 144-145.
- It is important to note that Mrs. Russel later returned
to the board stating that she had misunderstood the call to organize a new society,
stressing her loyalty. She was welcomed back and her resignation withdrawn. See Minute
Book, p. 155
- Ibid., p. 146.
- Minute Book, pp. 153, 161.
- Canadian Baptist, October 28, 1926, p. 3, cited
in W. Gordon Carder, Controversy in the Baptist Convention, 1908-1929 (Hamilton:
McMaster University, 1950), p. 56.
- Gospel Witness, November 4, 1926, cited ibid.
- Carder, Controversy in the Baptist Convention,
- Minute Book, p. 146.
- Baptist Visitor, No. 401 (February, 1927), p. 4.
- Records of these positions can be found, for example, in
various Baptist Year Books between 1910 and 1925.
- See C. E. Maitland, ed., 1926 Baptist Year Book for
Ontario and Quebec and Western Canada ([n.p.]: Standard Publishing Co., ), p.
255, and idem, 1930 Baptist Year Book for Ontario and Quebec and Western Canada
([n.p.]: Standard Publishing Co., ), p. 223.