Medicine Poster Session

Re^2: Poster 692

grover
groverak@fhs.mcmaster.ca

Dr. Brien:  I did not think that you could hide taste of NaCl.  Now you tell me that the boys gave the salty drinks thumbs down.  I guess I can't use this trick on my boy then.  Thanx for the detailed reply and best of luck.

On Tue Dec 8, Erin Brien wrote
------------------------------
>On Sat Dec 5, grover wrote
>--------------------------
>>Dr. Brien: Great presentation.  Hope you have fun at the meeting.  I see some trends here.  I don't know if they mean anything.  The drink intake was 899 g, 794 g and 950 g for FW, NaCl and CHO and the urine output was 166.0 g, 188.0 g, 136.2 g for FW, NaCl and CHO.  I see that the ratio of urine output to drink input was the highest for NaCl and lowest for FW.  Does this mean anything.  Two more questions.  How did you measure thirst and how did you manage to keep the NaCl containing water of same sweetness and palatability as the water without the salt?
>
>
>Dr. Grover,
>Thank you for your questions.  After further examination of the data, we did not consider the differences in the urine volume to drink intake ratio to be meaningful.

>With respect to measuring thirst, an analog scale was used.  The boys marked an "X" on a line (14 cm), with 0 cm representing "Not Thirsty", and 14 cm representing "Thirsty".  The location of their "X" was then converted to a percentage.

>Your third question is an excellent one as it was crucial that the boys could not detect a difference in taste among the three beverages. An independent laboratory used artificial sweeteners to mask the saltiness of the NaCl beverage.  A taste test was conducted with several children and adults prior to beginning the study, and statistical analysis revealed that, as a group, they could no detect a difference in taste among the beverages.  This same taste test was then administered to each subject at the first visit, and once again, there were no significant differences.  There was, however, a tendency for the boys to give the NaCl beverage a lower rating than the other two beverages.

>Erin
>

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Tue Dec 8