Cardiovascular Diseases Poster Session

Re: poster 895

Craig J Daly
c.daly@bio.gla.ac.uk

On Fri Dec 4, grover wrote
--------------------------
>Dr. Daly:Hope you are enjoying the meeting.  Great poster. You indicate that the responses to low frequency stimulation were significantly smaller in KO (4-16Hz, p < 0.1) and it took longer to attain them. How do you explain the latter simply based on the absence of alpha-1b receptors in the KO?
>

Hi, it's a good question and there are probably a few possible answers.  Firstly, as has been shown in other tissues (i.e. brain, liver, spleen) the receptor number is significantly lower.  If alpha1B-AR's are involved in the response to field stimulation then perhaps a reduced receptor number may be responsible for the difference.  It has been suggested that alpha1B-AR's are confined to the synaptic region and so stimulation of extrajunctional (alpha1A?) receptors will require higher frequency stimulation.  Alternatively, I think it is more likely to be the result of the alpha1A- and alpha1B-AR's having different Ca2+ coupling mechanisms.  If the alpha1B- is more associated with release of intracellular Ca2+ then the absence of that component may explain why the response is slower (i.e. it is more dependent on Ca2+ influx). We have a lot of work still to do.  I'd be happy to hear any explanation you may have. Thanks for you interest.

Best wishes

Craig.

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Mon Dec 7