Biomedical Education Poster Session

Re^2: Poster 125

grover
groverak@fhs.mcmaster.ca

Dr. Baker:  I disagree with you in that correlation and regression analysis are predictive.  Mind you I am not questioning their usefulness as a tool to understand potential mechanisms but merely questioning the use of an associative tool for its predicability.  Essentially, for a predictive measure, if you were given the known variable, would you be able to predict the outcome.

On Sun Dec 6, Joseph Baker wrote
--------------------------------
>Dear Dr. Grover,

>Thanks for the comments on the study.  I hope you are enjoying the conference and I would enjoy hearing your suggestions for reasons why the results came out as they did.  I must disagree with your suggestion that correlation and regression analyses are not predictive.  Don't both these analysis techniques provide a measure of how well an outcome (i.e., binge drinking) can be predicted based on knowledge of an independent variable (sensation seeking or general self-efficacy)?  As to your comment about peer pressure, I whole heartedly agree.  That is likely a variable of significant influence.  However, regardless of peer pressure, the moderating relationship for self-efficacy held for marijuana use and sensation-seeking only suggesting that there is something unique about this relationship.  Certainly this area needs further examination.

>On Fri Dec 4, grover wrote
>--------------------------
>>Dr. Baker: I am glad to see your nice presentation and hope you enjoy the meeting.  I found your conclusions on predictability a little far fetched.  The last time checked, correlation was not a predictor.  It is hard to say whether the binge drinking affects self efficacy or vice-versa.  Also, there is big parameter missing in this analysis - peer pressure.
>>
>

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Mon Dec 7