McMaster University has a well established carpool parking program where two or more individuals can register for a carpool permit from Parking & Transit Services. Carpooling is available at Main Campus, the Downtown Centre and the Ron Joyce Centre.
Registered carpools at McMaster are eligible for a designated parking space and a limited number of reduced-rate parking vouchers to be used on days when one member needs to take their own vehicle to campus.
Sign-up with Carpool Zone to find a carpool partner at McMaster, gain access to free resources such as the Emergency Ride Home Program, and chances to win great prizes!
To register for a McMaster Carpool Permit:
- First, please read the McMaster Carpool Policy and ensure that you and your carpool partner(s) satisfy the criteria set out in section 2.01:
If you have any questions about carpooling at McMaster please contact the Office of Sustainability prior to visiting Parking Services to purchase your permit.
- 2.01 Parking Services defines a carpool as a group of two or more people:
- who travel together a minimum of three times a week
- who have made a commitment to carpool for a minimum of three months
- who live beyond a 1.5 km radius of McMaster's Main Campus
- who meet along a common route
- who do not take a break from carpooling any longer than four consecutive weeks
- who have registered with Parking Services
- whose members do not possess any other McMaster parking permit
- If you and your carpool partner(s) satisfy the above conditions, please print and fill out the McMaster Carpool Application Form and McMaster Carpool Agreement.
- Once all members of the carpool have filled out and signed each of the two forms, please send them to the Parking Office located in E.T. Clarke Centre, room 102.
- One member of the carpool must go to the E.T. Clarke Centre to pick up their transpornder, or hang tag for RJC.
- Each member of the carpool must pay a $20.00 deposit for their transponder which will be refunded when the transponder is returned in working condition. Please note that the deposit cannot be paid through payroll deduction.
Want to refund a parking permit to become a carpooler?
You can either visit the Parking Office located at the E.T. Clarke Centre, room 201 or write and fax letter stating that you would like a refund. Please state which method you would like your refund, for example, a credit card and the card number that you would like the refund made to.
Please note that you must request your refund within the first two business days of the month for the refund to be eligible starting that current month.
Looking for a carpool partner?
McMaster has subscribed to an electronic ride matching service, in use across southern Ontario through the Carpool Zone program. You can find a carpool partner to your specific McMaster destination including the Main Campus, Ron Joyce Centre, or the Downtown Centre.
It is a no-cost, commitment-free service.
To register, you'll be linked to the website of the system provider, carpoolzone.ca.
The database uses your postal code to identify those who live in your vicinity, and uses your profile to select only those fellow McMaster commuters who share your preferences and schedule. This match is conducted when you register and subsequently at your request.
Contact any of the potential matches you wish by a preferred method of communication (usually email).
This service is designed for those looking for a regular ridesharing or carpooling arrangement.
January 20, 2012
News and Events
Thanks to everyone who took part in Carpool Week 2012. McMaster increased number of Carpool Zone Users from 209 to 336 and number of active carpoolers from 17 to 34.
All prizes will be awarded on March 21st during Carpool Appreciation Day.