Directions to Campus
From Toronto, Oakville, Burlington (to central campus)
- Travel westbound on the QEW or Highway 407. In Burlington, take Highway 403 to downtown Hamilton. Exit Highway 403 at the Main Street West off ramp. At the traffic signal turn left on to Main Street West, and then:
For south campus, Science & Engineering buildings, or the McMaster University Medical Centre:
• Continue along Main Street West to Emerson Street and turn right at the Main Street West entrance onto the McMaster campus, to the parking kiosk
For west campus, Alumni offices, West Quad student residences, or the Campus Services Buildings:
• Continue along Main Street West and turn right onto Cootes Drive. Take the off ramp on your right onto the McMaster campus, to the parking kiosk.
For central campus, the McMaster University Student Centre, or North Quad student residences:
• After turning left onto Main Street West, turn immediately right on Newton Avenue. As this street crosses King Street it becomes Sterling Street. Proceed up Sterling Street onto the McMaster campus, to the parking kiosk.
- GO Transit provides direct transit service to McMaster’s GO Terminal on west campus, from Sunday to Friday, along two GO Transit corridors:
• An express bus connection to/from the Burlington GO Station with convenient transfers with the Lakeshore GO train service.
• GO bus service along the Highway 407 corridor includes service at three carpool lots in Burlington and Oakville, as well as bus stops in Mississauga, Brampton and York University.
- Burlington Transit’s route #1 bus travels along Plains Road and Fairview Street from the Appleby GO Station to downtown Hamilton, where you can transfer to a Mac-bound Hamilton Transit (HSR) bus.
- Directions for Bus Charters: Follow detailed directions above, to appropriate campus entrance.
From Toronto Airport (Lester B. Pearson International)
- Exit the airport onto Highway 427 South. Exit Highway 427 onto the QEW toward Hamilton. Follow detailed directions for coming from Toronto to appropriate campus entrance.
- GO Transit provides weekday service between Pearson International and campus, with a transfer at the Bramalea GO Station onto the Highway 407 West service.
- Pacific Western’s Airport Express to downtown Toronto operates daily. There is a convenient transfer at the Union Station Bus Terminal to GO Transit’s QEW express bus to
From the Hamilton Airport (John C. Munro International)
- Exit the airport onto Highway 6 north, which connects to Highway 403. Take Highway 403 eastbound (toward Toronto), and exit as described in the directions for coming from Brantford.
- There is an hourly shuttle bus from John C. Munro International Airport to hotels in downtown Hamilton.
- Hamilton’s municipal transit system (HSR) also services the airport. Note this service includes a special taxi connection.
- See Hamilton International Airport for details.
From the Niagara Peninsula
- Follow the QEW over the Burlington Skyway Bridge as though going to Toronto. Take Highway 403 toward Hamilton and exit as described in the directions for coming from Toronto.
- Coach Canada offers service from Niagara Falls and St. Catharines to downtown Hamilton, with stops in a number of Niagara communities.
- From downtown Hamilton you can catch a Hamilton Transit (HSR) bus that will take you onto campus.
From Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge
- Take Highway 401 to Highway 6 South. From Highway 6, exit on Highway 403 toward Hamilton, and exit Highway 403 as described in the directions for coming from Toronto.
- From the south Cambridge area, take Highway 8 to Hamilton. Proceed through Dundas along King Street, which becomes Cootes Drive. As you approach McMaster and see an overpass,
exit on the right for west campus.
- Coach Canada provides bus service onto campus from Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Sheffield, Rockton, Waterdown, Millgrove, Freelton, Morriston, Aberfoyle and West Flamborough.
From Brantford and London
- From Brantford and London travel on Highway 403 to the Aberdeen Avenue exit. Turn left at the first traffic signal and proceed along Longwood Road, then turn left onto Main Street West. Follow detailed directions for coming from Toronto to appropriate campus entrance.
- Greyhound offers service from London, Ingersoll, Woodstock, Paris and Brantford directly to downtown Hamilton, and to McMaster’s campus.
Purchase transit tickets at Compass Information Centre, McMaster University Student Centre Marketplace.
- Kilometres to Hamilton from:
- . Niagara Falls - 78
- . Fort Erie - 111
- . Sarnia - 278
- . Windsor - 361
- . Toronto - 80
- . Ottawa - 556
- . Montreal - 733
- . London - 152
- . Stratford - 117
- . Kitchener - 67
- . New York - 948
- . Chicago - 846