The Coat of Arms

In 1930 McMaster University relocated from Toronto to the City of Hamilton. To help celebrate its new larger facility, the University petitioned the Lord Lyon King of Arms in Edinburgh for a coat of arms.

Historically, McMaster had been represented graphically by various symbols including open books, maple leaves, and a shield. Senator McMaster used a crest that included a stag and oak tree for his personal identity. It seemed only fitting that all of these elements be incorporated into the new McMaster coat of arms when it was granted on behalf of the Crown.

The McMaster University identity approved by the Board of Governors in 1997 incorporates a simplified shield design that recognizes the tradition of McMaster’s heraldry while improving the quality of print and electronic reproduction. The coat of arms is reserved for use by the University Chancellor and the Office of the President, appearing on their respective letterheads and business materials. It is used with distinction on graduation diplomas and graces the walls of University Hall and the Council Room in Gilmour Hall.

  Coat of Arms