groverak@fhs.mcmaster.ca

Dr. Emi:
 Thanx for the response.
akg

On Thu Dec 10, Kazuo Emi wrote
------------------------------
>On Sun Dec 6, Grover wrote
>--------------------------
>>Dr. Emi: I am glad to see your nice presentation and hope you enjoy the meeting.You concluded that unoprostone eye drops not only lowers the intraocular pressure but also improves the ocular blood circulation of the retina and optic nerve around the lamina cribrosa in human eyes. Two questions: First since you used only normal subjects, it is not clear whether this would also work in patients with glaucoma.  After all glaucoma patients have abnormal regulation of ocular pressure.  Second, as you do not see any side effects in these short term experiments, do you think that a prolonged use of unoprostone could lead to changes in autoregulation of receptors.  I am not familiar with the literature to suggest if that would be a problem. Have you come across anything on this subject?
>>

>Reply to Dr. Grover

>Thank you for the very important question. Our group already assessed the ocular blood circulation in the normal-tension glaucomas in the same method.  We got the results that the resistive index was decreased only in the PCA and the peak-systolic velocity and end-diastolic velocity were slightly increased in both CRA and PCA. I think the irritation at instillation and the corneal erosion are the side effects. As for the long-term behavior of the unoprostone, we just started the long-term study for normal-tension glaucomas.

>Kazuo Emi MD

>

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Fri Dec 11