What Can Genetic Models Tell Us About Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?

Re: 0341: relating in vitro studies to functional effects

Vivienne Russell
russell@physio.uct.ac.za

On Mon Dec 14, Henry Szechtman wrote
------------------------------------
>Hi Vivienne, the question I have is one that often comes to mind when one tries to relate in vitro studies to behavioural effects - how can one show that the DA changes observed in the slice reflect the postulated behavioural dysfunction, here, ADHD?  Why is it "dysfunction" rather than normal function of a compensated system? And why is it related to ADHD and not, for instance, to psychosis, depression, OCD or other DA-implicated disorders?
>henry
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tuesday Dec 15, Viv replied and received further comment from Henry Viv's reply follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Henry
Thank you for your valuable comments. I shall give serious thought to designing appropriate challenges and possibly testing SHR's ability to integrate temporal information.

Thank you very much for the reference to your work on a possible model for OCD. I have a colleague who is very interested in OCD and who has tried to establish a genetic model by selective breeding (but with no success). He would be very interested in your model. I would also be very interested in your article. Unfortunately, we do not receive many neuroscience journals in South Africa, and so we would be very grateful if you could send us a reprint.

With many thanks and best wishes
Viv
PS: I have experienced much trouble in accessing an up-to-date version of the discussion board. Our recent correspondence does not appear on my screen. Perhaps others are experiencing similar difficulties?
Notwithstanding, it has been an enjoyable and most memorable experience. Congratulations!! and thank you very much

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Wed Dec 16