Student Accounts & Cashiers
To avoid Late Payment and interest charges, please ensure your payment is received on or before the Payment Deadline Dates.
To verify that payments have been received, regularly review your Account (Student Center > Finance > Payment Summary) on MOSAIC.
* EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2016: Cash / Cheques no longer accepted as payment method.
McMaster's Preferred Payment Methods
Paying from a Canadian bank account?
Online / Telephone / Branch banking - (fast, secure, most economical option)
- Online/telephone/teller banking payments are made through your bank's web site/call centre/in-branch
- Add McMaster as a payee
- Enter your 9-digit student number as the requested account number
- Enter the amount you wish to pay
- Enter the date of payment as either the current date, or you may post-date it to the Payment Deadline Date.
- Click OK
Payments made this way take 2 - 3 business days to show in student account
Online Banking: You will receive a confirmation page upon completion of the online transaction. Keep for your records.
Telephone Banking: You will receive a verbal confirmation/reference number for your records.
In-person Banking: You will be provided a paper receipt of payment.
Paying from an International bank account?
Western Union GlobalPay for International Students
The most efficient, cost-effective payment process for international students (or students who's accounts are paid by others not in Canada) to pay their student fees from outside of Canada is through Western Union's GlobalPay for students. This option allows you to pay the Canadian dollar student fees in the currency of your choice. Note: This is not a payment through Western Union Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying a Western Union Bank account, and then Western Union transfers the funds to McMaster in Canadian dollars
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This
amount is then converted to Canadian dollars.
The exchange rate quote is locked in for your payment for 72 hours after the quote is obtained.
The exchange rate is very competitive when compared to your financial institution's retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the wire transfer that you initiate is a local transfer.
There are NO transaction charges from Western Union or McMaster, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
Efficient and timely posting
Please include your reference information (full name and 9 digit student account) to ensure your payment reaches your McMaster student account quickly, typically 2 - 5 business days after your bank initiates payment. Please allow for this time to meet payment deadlines.
Step by step instructions:
- Select the "Make a Payment" button in your account inquiry, located in the finance section of your student center. Follow the instructions for Western Union.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay in Canadian dollars - click next
- Use the drop-down list to select the currency that
you would like to pay in (you will notice on the right
the amount you will be paying in the currency
selected) - click next.
Note #1: If your local currency is not an option available in the system, you will need to choose another currency on the list to continue, or contact email@example.com for more information. The subject line should read Western Union payment issue. Please indicate what university you are emailing from, currency you are trying to pay in, or where you are trying to pay from, and what the precise issue is.
Note #2: When paying from China or India, you will be given your rate when you process your transfer per the payment instructions - click next
- Western Union provides an exchange rate guaranteed for 72 hours, in order to give you the time to take the confirmation slip to your bank and initiate the payment. Your bank pays Western Union in your country, notification is sent to Western Union here and the money is transferred in Canadian dollars to your student account at McMaster within a few days.
Western Union is a quick and convenient way to make international payments without incurring the service fees or delays of a conventional wire transfer.
Complete the required fields with student/payer Information (name, email address, 9 digit McMaster student ID#) - click next
McMaster's preferred methods of payment are listed above. Students who pay by any other method, or through any other third party, do so at their own risk. McMaster will not be held responsible for any subsequent loss to the student.
Other Payment Methods
To be used if preferred methods above are unavailable.
- Participating banks are: Scotiabank, RBC, BMO
- Note: VISA/Debit client cards do
not work with this payment method, only the
regular client debit cards
- Select the Make a Payment link located in the Finance section of your Student Center. Follow the instructions for INTERAC Online.
- All payments made through INTERAC Online show on your Account Statement as "pending" that day, then as a payment the next business day
- Currently, students who bank with BMO, RBC, Scotiabank can use this method (Daily limits may apply).
- You will need to have your bank debit card ready.
- Follow the directions as indicated.
- Select the Make a Payment link located in the finance section of your Student Center. Follow the instructions for Credit Card payments
- Have your credit card information and PIN available
- A non-refundable convenience fee of 1.75% will be charged over and above your payment amount to use either service.
- For more information on making credit card payments and the convenience fee, click Credit Card - F.A.Q.
- In order to avoid late payment and other administrative charges, submit no later the Payment Deadline Dates.