Student Accounts & Cashiers
Cancellation Fee Schedules for Undergraduate Students
Before making the decision to decrease your number of units, it is important to weigh both the academic and financial implications. It's important to understand that an academic deadline can have a different meaning than a financial deadline. A decision to cancel a course late may satisfy an academic need, but may carry financial implications that may be unsatisfactory. Before dropping or canceling a course, all students should:
1. First, discuss the pros and cons of your decision with your academic advisor in your faculty
2. Then, review the cancellation schedules below to understand what financial consequences may be present.
Understanding the difference between a dropped course and a cancelled course is financially critical.
Any course dropped before the last day to add courses (drop & add) within a session.
Dropped courses are removed from your student record, and although are not subject to cancellation fees, may have financial consequences (i.e. reduced OSAP entitlement, loss of Entrance Scholarship, MSU Supplementary Fees)
Cancelled courses - Any
course cancelled after the last day to add courses
(drop & add) within a session.
Cancelled courses remain on your student record and are indicated as "cancelled".
Cancelled courses are subject to cancellation fees, and may have other financial consequences (i.e. reduced OSAP entitlement, loss of entrance scholarship or MSU Supplementary Fees).
Important things you should know:
- The table below represents the percentages charged for tuition only. Supplementary fees are non-refundable.
- If at any time during the academic year you are registered in 18 units or more (including cancelled courses), you will be assessed MSU Supplementary Fees. These fees are non-refundable, even if you drop back under 18 units (or part-time status) at a later date.
- On your student account, your fees show according to the number of units you are enrolled in. If you cancel a course, the cancellation fees will reflect in the overall total.
- The last day for withdrawing without academic failure by default:
- Fall 2016 - November 4, 2016
- Winter 2017 - March 10, 2017
- Spring 2016 - May 31, 2017
- Summer 2016 - July 19, 2017
- Credits for dropped/cancelled courses are first
applied against other debt owed to the university
(Residence, Meal Plan, Miscellaneous charges and Bookstore appearing on the account). Any
remaining credit amount will be refunded in one of two ways:
a) Direct Deposit - EASY/QUICK - students enroll by entering their personal banking information. Overpayments are transferred back electronically directly to their bank account. For more information, click Direct Deposit
b) By cheque - students must update and maintain their address to avoid delays. Cheques are sent by mail.
- Changes in your course load may significantly affect your eligibility of OSAP, Scholarships and other awards. Please review with the Student Financial Aid and Scholarship office.
- Students in an "overload" (units registered over and the required course load) situation will be charged for cancelled courses.
If you have decided to withdraw from a
session or from the university entirely, you must first contact the
Registrar's office for important steps to a proper
withdraw. Student ID cards must be surrendered to the
Registrar's office at the time of withdraw.
Also, it is very important to contact your faculty, and remove your courses from MOSIAC (otherwise charges will remain).
Undergraduate - Cancellation Schedule - Fall 2016 / Winter 2017
|Fall/Multi-Term A (September to December)||Winter/Multi-Term B (January to April)|
|Up to Sept 14||No charge||Up to Jan 12||No charge|
|Sept 15 - 20||20% Charge||Jan 13 - 20||20% Charge|
|Sept 21 - Sept 27||30% Charge||Jan 21 - 27||30% Charge|
|Sept 28 - Oct 4||40% Charge||Jan 28 - Feb 3||40% Charge|
|Oct 5 - 11||50% Charge||Feb 4 - 10||50% Charge|
|Oct 12 - 18||60% Charge||Feb 11 - 17||60% Charge|
|Oct 19 - 25||70% Charge||Feb 18 - 24||70% Charge|
|Oct 26 to Nov 1||80% Charge||Feb 25 - Mar 2||80% Charge|
|Nov 2 - 3||90% Charge||Mar 3 - 9||90% Charge|
|Nov 4 onward||100% Charge||Mar 10 onward||100% Charge|
Undergraduate - Cancellation Schedule - Spring / Summer / Full Term 2017
|Spring /Multi Term A||Summer / Multi Term B|
|Up to May 5||No charge||Up to June 23||No charge|
|May 6 - 11||20% Charge||June 24 to June 29||20% Charge|
|May 12 - 18||40% Charge||June 30 to July 6||40% Charge|
|May 19 - 25||60% Charge||July 7 to July 13||60% Charge|
|May 26 - May 30||80% Charge||July 14 to July 18||80% Charge|
|May 31 onward||100% Charge||July 19 onward||100% Charge|